A Query search will provide information about:
•Companies currently licensed to do business in Maryland.
The information is updated on a weekly basis.
Examples of information include:
• Company locations in a particular area/zip code.
• The newest active Company name on record.
• The new name of a Company if that Company name has changed.
• Whether a Company is licensed to conduct insurance business in Maryland.
• What types of insurance a Company is authorized to write in Maryland.
To start the search:
• Enter as much or as little information as you know about a Company, filling in at least one search field.
• If you do not know the full name of the Company, you will still be able to search by putting an * before or after the partial name without a space.
• Choose only one entry when there is a drop-down list in a specific field.
You will be told if there are no results to be found through the Maryland Insurance Administration web site for the information entered.
Company search results will show:
•National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) number.
•State of Domicile.
•Company status(active or inactive).
•Type of business (e.g. Property & Casualty, Life & Health, etc.).
•Date of most recent business application.
•Lines of business (e.g. HMO, Automobile, etc.).
•Final Market Conduct Examination reports issued since January 1, 2002.
•Final Financial Examination reports issued since January 1, 2002.
•Orders issued since January 1, 2002 (not including Complaint Orders).
To initiate the search, click on the submit button.
To clear what has been entered on the screen, click on the clear button.
To return to this page, click on the quit button.
You will be able to print the information you have searched.
The Maryland Insurance Administration does not rank insurance companies.
You may access license and demographic information on agents and firms licensed to sell insurance in Maryland through our online licensing system using the link on the left above.
Information about Orders against a Producer is available on this website under Producer Enforcement.
As of 2004, Maryland no longer requires insurers to report notices of appointments or terminations, except "for cause" terminations. Therefore, no appointment information regarding producers is available.
For more detailed information or if you have specific questions about a Company or Producer, please call the Company or Producer directly. Also, please contact the Company directly if you have questions about policies issued by that Company under an earlier name.