General Licensing Information
- Fees and Filing Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions About Licensing: includes certain commonly requested contact information for licensing related services.
- Continuing Education
- License Candidates
- Laws and Regulations
Licensing Contact Information:
Maryland Insurance Administration
Attn: Producer Licensing
200 St. Paul Place, Suite 2700
Baltimore, MD 21202
Producer Licensing Customer Service: 1-888-204-6198/410-468-2411
Producer Licensing Fax 410-468-2399
Online Producer Services
State Based Systems (SBS)
The Maryland Insurance Administration's Producer Licensing section has converted to the NAIC's State Based system (SBS), a web-based licensing system. The new system offers faster issuance of licenses and renewals and provides real-time access to producer information, thereby eliminating delays. Click the link above to:
- Print one free copy of a recently renewed or newly issued license or registration using SBS Connect. Print a free copy after a change to an existing license's authority or demographic information.View the status and expiration date of an existing license or registration using the Licensee Look-Up feature.
- Sign up for the subscription-based Online Licensee Services (OLS) tool, which provides licensees and registrants the opportunity to view detailed license information, print unlimited copies of an existing license, and sign up for automated e-mail notifications. In addition, licensing administrators can produce reports on all licensees – individuals or groups.
National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR)
As a result of the SBS implementation, ALL licensing transactions can be completed electronically via the National Insurance Producer Registry. Motor Clubs also may process initial registration applications and appointments, as well as renew registrants' rosters via one of the NIPR's authorized business partners. Click the link above to:
- Apply for a new or renew an existing business entity or individual resident or nonresident license and/or registration.
- Complete producer license line of authority additions.
- Update resident, mailing, and or business addresses.
- Upload documentation supporting yes responses to pending initial and/or renewal applications via the Attachment Warehouse application.
- Upload documentation from other jurisdictions for existing licensees and registrants via the Reporting of Actions application.
Click here for a chart listing the Authorized Business Partners and the services they provide.
Investigations of Applications and Consents to Work
For inquiries about investigations of license applications, call Sharon Dorbit at 410-468-2232. For inquiries about consent to work as required by the federal law, 18 U.S.C.§§1033 and 1034 for convicted felons, call Ronald Weinreich at 410-468-2288.
Reporting of Associations / Designated Insurance Producers
With the exception of the designated insurance producer(s) of an agency and associates of a title insurance agency, a licensed insurance producer agency is no longer required to report the insurance producers associated with it to the Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA). The agency will be responsible for keeping a list of producers associated with the agency in a manner that allows the information to be retrieved in a reasonable period of time upon request from the MIA. (NOTE: This does not apply to title insurance producers and agencies.)
Maryland no longer requires insurers to report appointments or terminations, except for terminations for cause. Instead, the insurer is required to keep a Producer Register of its appointed agents beginning with those appointed on and after January 1, 2004, in accordance with Maryland regulation (COMAR 31.03.13). Every 31 days, insurers are required to check on whether any disciplinary action has been taken against their agents via the MIA website. Appointment information is no longer available in the MIA's licensing database.