News Center > Important Points to Consider Before Renewing Your Health Insurance
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 24, 2013
Important Points to Consider Before Renewing Your Health Insurance
If you buy your health insurance directly from an insurance company or an HMO, you may be receiving a letter asking you to renew your policy early, before your regular anniversary date. Some insurers are trying to renew the plans early so that the plans will not be subject to the new consumer protections of the Affordable Care Act. If the plans are renewed before January 1, 2014, the plans will not be required to comply with the new consumer protections of the Affordable Care Act until they renew in 2014.
The Maryland Insurance Administration encourages consumers to consider all options about your health insurance between now and December 31.
Before you renew, you should know:
• You are NOT obligated to renew your plan before its termination date.
• Renewing plans early may reset your deductible. You might face having to meet a new deductible because you renewed your policy, then a new deductible as of January 1, 2014, if your plan has a calendar year deductible. When the plan is up for renewal in 2014, you will have to choose a new plan, which could require that you satisfy yet another deductible before the plan begins to pay for covered services.
• Renewing plans before January 1, 2014, may not give you access to expanded coverage or protections, such as required coverage of all pre-existing conditions, mental health parity benefits or the new rating rules.
• This Fall, consumers will have the ability to shop and compare private health plans through Maryland Health Connection (www.marylandhealthconnection.gov).
• You may be eligible for a subsidy or tax credit if you purchase a plan through Maryland Health Connection.
About the Maryland Insurance Administration
The Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA) is an independent State agency charged with regulating Maryland’s $26 billion insurance industry. For more information about the MIA, click on About MIA or follow us on Facebook at or on Twitter at @MD_Insurance.