The Maryland Certificate of Authority for all fully licensed NAIC companies and dental plans expires annually on June 30. The Certificate of Authority should be renewed online between April 1 and June 30 in accordance with §§ 4-112, 6-203 and 14-408 of the Insurance Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland. If your company filed its Certificate of Authority renewal application late last year (i.e., after June 30), you must renew your certificate of authority on or before June 1 this year to avoid a penalty for late renewal in accordance with § 4-112 of the Insurance Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
The certificate of authority renewal process for fully licensed NAIC companies and dental plans can be completed online without attaching any certificates or other paperwork. This online process also will include the Workers’ Compensation Law Compliance Certification. You will be required to pay using a Visa, MasterCard or eCheck. There is no extra charge for renewing online. If you renew by credit card, the charge on your statement will be shown as “Maryland Insurance Administration.”
How to Renew Your Certificate of Authority Online
Before you login to renew, please read the following instructions:
You will enter your User ID, which is your NAIC number, and your password that was provided previously to you. Each company is associated with a unique UserID/Password combination. The system will not allow you to renew more than one company using the same UserID/Password combination.
- You must complete all required fields in order to save your record and proceed to the License Renewal and Payment screen.
- If you fail to complete all required fields, you will not be able to continue with your online renewal, and you will get an error message.You will be allowed to review your information before continuing on to the payment process.
- Before submitting your credit card or eCheck information, be sure you review the information to ensure that it is correct.
- Please be sure to print the confirmation screen for your records. This will be your proof of renewal.
License Renewal Fees
|Application Type||Renewal Date||Renewal Period||Renewal Fee|
|Dental Plan||July 1||One year||$1,100|
Fraternal Benefit Society
|July 1||One year||Varies *|
|Life, Accident and Health Company||July 1||One year||$1,500|
|Property and Casualty Insurer||July 1||One year||$1,500|
|Title Insurer||July 1||One year||$1,500|
* Under § 6-203 of the Insurance Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, the Fraud Prevention Fee for fraternal benefit societies will vary based on premium levels.
Unable to Renew Your Certificate of Authority Online?
All insurers are expected to utilize the online company licensing renewal process. However, if there are extenuating circumstances that will not allow you to renew online, you may renew your certificate of authority by submitting a paper application.
Click on the links below to download the application.
The paper application should be mailed with a check for the appropriate fees made payable to the “Maryland Insurance Administration.” Renewal application packages should be sent to:
Maryland Insurance Administration
ATTN: Company Licensing Unit
200 St. Paul Place, Suite 2700
Baltimore, MD 21202
An insurer may submit its renewal application any time after April 1st, but the new certificate of authority may not be mailed until the last week of June.
If you have questions or need help with this license renewal process, please contact: